Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

The Sky Burns Red: A random poem experiment (write from an imaginary character's perspective)

The sky burns red my darling,
The sky falls to my feet.
The sky plays dominoes with the darkness,
The sky bleeds.
Rivers in the allies, ponds splash my knees,
Empty strollers on the sidewalk,
Worried mothers desert and flee.


My shoes are soaked my darling,
From the crying of the clouds,
My brow is drenched with sorrows,
My heart is dark and crowded.
My shirt is the color of last Wednesday afternoon,
When the hills bloomed with clovers,
And my eyes bloomed with you.


It's easy to slip off my laces,
And leave these shells behind,
They're hardly of use to me now,
 That I know you're doing time.


I stomp through fields of stones,
Poke like needles at my toes,
I wipe the gravel dust from my cheeks,
And the snot from my nose.
Raged, worn, but I don't need my shine,
'Cause within me the war is ending,
Deep inside, I'm doing fine.






Cottages dot the land of my love,
Whispers beckon like a late summer's dove.
 I'd wish upon stars, and wells of pennies,
But it won't bring me back to when we were geniuses.


Time is a dancer, and she meets me at the turn,
I see her skirts of grey, and the names on her arms.
She made her way to where I was staying,
She stripped me of my old clothes,
And gave me fresh bedding.


Rabbits have holes, and birds have nests,
But there is no where for me to run from Mr. Distress.
I believe I've out witted his schemes tonight,
But I'll wait on the morning to tell you that I'm alright.
The sky broke open my darling,
And bombs dashed my promenade,
The sky was invaded, by dark fighter planes.


Fires in the allies, broken furniture in the streets,
Stolen cars on the bridges, children crying hopelessly.
Their shoes have traveled too many times,
To the basements and the cellars,
Their brows are creased with cares
And their coops full of feathers.
Their clothes are as pale
As the walls in which surround,
The frames have fallen off the nails,
And glass covers the ground.


It's easy to compare myself now,
And leave my doubts behind,
They're hardly of use to me now,
That I see they're dying.


I'd stomp through the front lines,
Just to see your face again.
I'd wipe the sweat of your head,
And the fear from your regiment.


Hospitals dot the land my love,
Refuge finds her way to my ear.
I'd carry her gifts to you,
Packages, and bottles of cheer.


Time is a deceiver, and he reaches for my hand,
I see his bony fingers,
But feels the tenderness of his hands.
I've decided to stop paying attention
To the ways of Mr. Vain,
He's skipped away in a hurry,
And scooped away the rain.


Owls have eyes,
And beasts their sense of smell,
But I wish I couldn't sense
This destructive mess at all.
I am my worst enemy,
Because I lead myself away,
Down to where the sky burns red,
And my imagination preys.


Come back to me, come back to me,
My love is dimming sweet dream of mine.
Come back to me, come back to me,
My mind is racing, my fears are lies.


The bombs explode my friend,
The bombs hit the street.
The bombs burst in the darkness,
I fall to my knees.
I repent of my wandering,
Crawl to my bike and

Retreat...retreat...retreat...

No comments:

Post a Comment