Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

On the Altar of Art

Have you ever thought or even confessed that above all else that 'art' is the most important thing in your life?
Ha ha, I know, I know you were just joking, or maybe it's not 'the most important thing' but second to 'God' it is. Speaking for myself, I would say no matter if other people don't see the importance or not, Creativity will always be a BIG part of my life. Bigger and more important then sports, shopping, fashion, and yes I must admit...at times even more important than socialization. So, right now you are either one of the those Artist people that understand what I'm saying, or you're thinking that I'm hermit, and I would rather be consumed in my art than with other people'. Which is false...Well, to some extent ha ha.
I've always been the project type of person. And I seriously enjoy being creative and getting caught up in creative projects. I even prefer reaching out through art and basing a lot of my friendships off of creative collision and colaboration. And I know this isn't bad. But I also know that as a human being I should always been ready to check myself and aim for proper balance.

I think a lot of us artists, perhaps even most of us...have the ability/ tendency, to get caught up in our art and artistic expressions. And to a degree this isn't all that wrong, it's just there IS a point where we let art become a demmi god, or our 'all consuming passion' and forget to see things in proper prospective.
The question is how much does art mean to us? There is a place in the mind and affections of the Artistic Person that only Art and Creativity can fill. I don't think we should ever have to give that up. I just think when art and our own artistic expression becomes more important than God or other people, to us...that is where we should step back and re-align our priorities. And I admit that, that is hard. It goes against the 'self focused' worldview of the 'Un-Christian' Artistic Society. Because, sometimes all we artistic people want to do is sit down paint a picture, and block out the world around us, or there are other times we would like to become consumed by our creative projects and goals that we push away people, God, and every thing else life has to offer. We See, Breathe, Drink ~ Art, and we depend more on art and our own selves than we should. The world teaches the Artist to become consumed in our art, and to be selfish in it...how? By not caring about other peoples views, and creating whatever pops into our minds... and to focus too much on our own emotions and feelings, and putting too much emphasis on expressing them.

The hardest thing for the Artist who is a Christian, to learn...is that the most important thing in life is not 'expressing his or hers creativity', but 'reflecting Christ'. I can't say I've passed on all tests. Cause I haven't, and I can't say that being artistically productive has not been more important to me, and (that I haven't given more time to it than I have to eating, breathing, praying, talking...because I have. And I just think that God wants Artists to be balanced and take time to step out of their constant rush of creating, and put some time into their relationships with God. I think it's pretty easy to understand, that just like an Athlete can put too much into their sport, they can push out everything and focus solely on his sport, we Artists can put too much into art, and focus so much on it, and our own creativity that we push out other things in life. We are caught up in our art, and so we don't take the time to sit and spend it with God, or read our bibles, or worship Him, or even reach out to other people, speak to them. I think it is important, whoever we are, that we see the worth of God, Love, and Servitude.

Just like we see the worth of spending our time investing it in artistic  expression, or creative goals, we believe in our Art, and our Artistic goals. God wants us to believe in and see the worth of spending time, and investing it in him and our relationship with him. He also wants us to see the worth of spending time investing it in other people. Sometimes we have to step away from our canvases, put down our instruments, and set down our cameras to come to reality. As much as we can use our creativity to praise God and reach out to others, we must be balanced and learn how to not become selfish and self-focused by getting caught up in our own little creative worlds. Perhaps, God wants to paint us something, or tell us something, but we've been to caught up in painting our own little lives, that we haven't taken the time to appreciate the awesomeness of the Creator of heaven and earth. Whatever the personal case may be, I would like to encourage you to widen your view, expand your horizons and not let art become your your crutch, only friend, and greatest love. Art can't fill your soul, you will always have more to create, or more to consume. Don't sacrifice love for art. It's not worth it, and the 'god of art' cannot give you peace, wisdom, or eternal life. I promise you, as much as it's definitely worth it for the creative person to use his or hers talents and gifts and to bless people with them, and use them for God's glory... You cannot find God just in your art, nor can you just spend your entire life witnessing behind a camera. You've got to be ready in your every step, you've got to build your relationship with God by discovering him through His word, and through Fellowship and Worship. And don't let art become a demmi god, or your only friend. The world needs you, and God wants you.

So have you been giving too much to your art? Art and creativity can be God-honoring and enjoyable, but you can miss out if your eyes have been glued too long on your own art, projects, goals, accomplishments...  Have you been sacrificing too much on the altar of art? Consider.

Some Lyrics from 'Empty My Hands' by Tenth Avenue North
 ....f I let these dreams die
If I lay down all my wounded pride
But if I let these dreams die
Will I find that letting go lets me come alive

Empty my hands
Fill up my heart
Capture my mind with you x2

With you, with you....

Cause my mind is like a building burning down
I need your grace to keep me, keep me from the ground
My heart is just a prisoner of war
A slave to what it wants and what I'm fighting for

So wont you empty my hands
Fill up my heart
Capture my mind with you x2

With you, with you
I need you now Lord, with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment